(Version effective as of 1 January 2008)
2. Personal Information
Personal information refers to all information about you as an identifiable individual, including (but not limited to) your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, and identity number.
3. Your Consent
- 3.1 You do not have to give us personal information in order to visit or access the freely available sections of our web site. Some services on our web site may, however, be restricted to subscribers only (including but not limited to the placing of orders, promotional features and competitions). In order for you to use such subscriber services we will need some personal information about you. The information will be collected when you register with us or when you choose to use one of the subscriber services available via our web site.
4.1 We will not sell, rent or otherwise disclose your personal information to any third party without your consent, provided that by using our website and/or subscribing for any of our services, you provide your express and informed consent for us to disclose your personal information to third parties as follows:
- 4.1.1 to third party companies employed by us to provide services for us, including for example, website hosting, administration, maintenance and development. These companies require access to your personal information to perform their functions and not for any other purposes;
- 4.1.2 to transfer our customer database/s, including personal information contained therein, to any third party who acquires all or substantially all of the assets or shares in our company or our web site service whether by sale, merger, acquisition or otherwise;4.1.3 to governmental agencies, exchanges and other regulatory or self-regulatory organisations if we are required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary to
- 18.104.22.168 comply with the law or with any legal process;
- 22.214.171.124 protect and defend our rights and property or that of our customers and companies in our group;
- 126.96.36.199 prevent fraud or abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of our website; and/or
- 188.8.131.52 protect the personal safety or property of our customers or the public (if you provide false or deceptive information about yourself or misrepresent yourself as being someone else, we will disclose such information to the appropriate regulatory bodies and commercial entities); and
- 4.1.4 if applicable, to personalise your experience on our web site, to help you log on in future and to continue to use the web site, to reply to queries you might have, to provide you with support and to help us select services or materials for inclusion on our web site which may be of interest to you.
4.2 We reserve the right to share non-personal, non-individual information in aggregate form with third parties for business purposes, for example with advertisers on our website or business associates and partners. You will not be identifiable from such data as such. We are not responsible and cannot be held liable for the privacy practices of such third parties.
5. Use of Your Personal Information
- 5.1. We and our commercial partners may use your personal data for the purposes of executing transactions concluded with you, for billing purposes or in order to serve relevant advertising to you. We may send you information, special offers and advertising by email, through SMS, within our regular newsletters, through once-off promotional offers or by telephone.
- 5.2. We may also make available your personal information to our affiliates and business partners (who may be located outside South Africa) in order to enable them to offer goods and services that they think will interest you. By using our services and by submitting your personal details, you consent to this transfer.
- 5.3. We may receive information about you from reliable third parties and add it to our database. We shall ensure that such third parties operate a similar policy to us in relation to your privacy. When we receive such information, we shall use it to improve the personalisation of our service.
- 5.4. If you do not want to receive the information as set out in clause 5.2 above then please send an e-mail to us at email@example.com or contact our Customer Care Centre on +27 (0)11 340 8777.
6. Feedback and Complaints
7. Shopping and Competitions
- 7.1. If you order anything from us we may need your name, e-mail address, delivery address and payment information (such as credit card details) to process that order. We will also take your telephone number so that we can contact you in the event of any problems with this order and we may give this number to couriers who deliver the order. This information may be used in accordance with clauses 4 and 5 above.
- 7.2. When you enter a competition or other promotional feature, we will require your name, telephone number, postal address and/or e-mail address so that we can notify you if you have won. We will require your physical address to deliver any prizes you win. We may use this personal data in the same way as explained in clauses 4 and 5 above.
8. Information Protection
We may protect personal information by establishing appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard the personal information we collect from you. This helps prevent unauthorised access, maintains data accuracy and ensures that the personal information is used correctly. In order to carry out these security procedures, we may sometimes ask for proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
A cookie is a piece of information that is deposited by our computer server when you visit our website which is stored on your computer's hard drive by your web browser. On revisiting the website, our computer server will recognise the cookies, giving us information about your last visit. Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance. If you choose not to receive cookies, you may not be able to use all the features of our website.
10. Data Profiles
- 10.1 We may also utilise a personal profile page, which will enable you to update your personal information. This will allow us to maintain accurate and up-to-date personal data. You will have the right to require its correction or removal from our records at any time. If you wish to be deleted from our database entirely, then please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating just that.
- 10.2 If you want to update any of your personal information held by us, you can either make certain changes on-line by amending your account details (if enabled) or you can send an e-mail detailing the required amendments to email@example.com. If your account details are password protected, you can help to preserve your privacy by never sharing your password with anyone else.
11. IP Addresses
Every time you connect to our website we store web server logs which show your IP address (the unique number which your machine uses when it is connected to the Internet); what you looked at; whether the page request was successful or not, and which browser you used to view the pages. The use of this data is strictly for statistical purposes and personalisation purposes only. This helps us understand which areas of the site are of particular interest and also which pages are not being requested. It also tells us how many hits and page requests we get.